Similar to a tikka masala, butter chicken is one of the most popular dishes at Indian restaurants around the world. Trewithen Dairy have made their own version using leftover turkey. It takes less than an hour to pull together and is sure to be a hit on Boxing Day.
You can make the aromatic creamy sauce as mild or as spicy as you like by adjusting the quantity of chilli powder. Serve with rice, naan and mango chutney.
100g Trewithen Dairy Salted Butter
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 tbsp garlic paste, or 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp ginger paste, or 2.5cm piece fresh ginger peeled and finely grated
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp hot chilli powder
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp salt
2 tsp caster sugar
200g Trewithen Dairy Clotted Cream
1 tsp fenugreek seeds, ground
800g leftover turkey, cut into bite size pieces
25g Trewithen Dairy Salted Butter
2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
2 tbsp pomegranate kernels
1. Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat until melted. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to colour.
2. Add the garlic and ginger paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the cumin, garam masala, coriander and chilli powder and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
3. Add the tomatoes, salt and sugar to the pan, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the onions are soft and the sauce is a dark red colour. Add a splash of water if the sauce is getting too thick.
4. Tip the sauce into the bowl of a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth. Pour the sauce back into the pan and add the clotted cream and ground fenugreek seeds. Bring to a simmer, then add the turkey.
5. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 10 minutes, until the turkey has heated through and the sauce is thick and bubbling.
6. To serve, stir in the butter and sprinkle over the chopped coriander and pomegranate kernels.