Christmas is about sharing they say, and this delicious pesto tear and share bread certainly fulfils the brief. This recipe from British baking brand Tala uses vegan ingredients and if you don’t think you have what it takes to make bread, then give this simple recipe a go and surprise yourself.
125 ml unsweetened plant milk
100 ml water
1 tsp white sugar
2¼ tsp instant yeast
60 ml olive oil use light olive oil
400 g strong white bread flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
120g green (vegan) pesto
1 tbsp unsweetened plant milk
vegan parmesan (optional)
1. Add warm plant milk and water to a large mixing bowl. Then add sugar, yeast, olive oil, flour, and salt and bring all the ingredients together and knead for approx. 10 mins.
2. Cover and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Cut dough into three, then roll out every third into a triangle shape.
4. Use a spoon to spread pesto equally across the surface of the first triangle. Cover with the second triangle and add pesto again. Then cover with the final third and cut into a tree shape.
5. Twist each tree branch to create a twirl and brush the entire tree bread with the 1tbsp unsweetened plant milk.
6. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for at least 45 minutes.
7. Bake at 180°C (fan oven) for approx. 25 minutes until golden on the outside.
8. Once baked, top it off with some optional vegan parmesan.