It simply wouldn’t be Christmas dinner without crispy roast potatoes, and this recipe will ensure that yours definitely impress. Simply parboil before roasting in goose fat with lots of garlic and rosemary until golden and serve. Simply delicious.
1.5 kg Maris Piper potatoes
3 tbsp goose fat
1 bulb of garlic
½ a bunch fresh rosemary (around 15g)
Sea salt and black pepper to season
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / Gas 6.
2. Peel the potatoes, then cut into ¼ or ½ depending on size. Parboil them in a pan of boiling salted water for 15 minutes – this will ensure that the insides become really fluffy.
3. Drain in a colander and leave to steam dry for two minutes – this will help the fat to stick to the potatoes. Give the colander a few light shakes to fluff up the edges of the potatoes, giving you maximum surface area for a crispy exterior as they roast.
4. Place the goose fat or butter and one tablespoon of oil in your largest roasting tray. Place in the oven until the fat is hot.
5. Tip in the potatoes, add a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then toss to coat, and spread out in a single layer but with small gaps between them.
6. Squash the garlic bulb to separate the cloves, then lightly crush each unpeeled clove and add to the tray – this gives you sweet, caramelised garlic and adds a gentle perfume to the potatoes.
7. Roast for 40 – 50 minutes turning every so often in the fat. Remove from the oven and add the rosemary sprigs and cook for a further 20 minutes or until the potatoes are crisp and golden all over. Season and serve.
Recipe credit: Seasonal Spuds