This exotic duck salad from barbecue experts Char-Broil has got it all going on – crunch, spice, juicy fruit and tasty, crispy duck. With the prep out of the way, whip this dish up on the barbecue with ease to impress your diners no end.
2 duck legs, 2 duck breasts, 2 duck wings (alternatively, use 4 duck breasts only)
For the marinade
1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tbsp mirin rice wine
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup
1.5 tsp Chinese five spice powder
Thumb of sliced fresh ginger
2 cloves chopped garlic
Grind of black pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
For the salad
1-2 bunches Swiss chard
Thumb of fresh ginger
Sea salt and black pepper
1. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and add the duck pieces. Cover with cling film and marinade for at least one hour in the fridge.
2. Bring the duck pieces to room temperature and sear on a hot barbecue for a few minutes each side. Then close the lid and cook for approx. 15-20 minutes, turning once or twice, until the internal temperature is 140°F (60°C) for medium or around155°F (68°F) for well-done.
3. Take off the barbecue and allow to rest.
4. For the salad: trim and rinse the Swiss chard. Pat dry and rub all over with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill on the barbecue until until dark and charred but not burned.
5. Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with a little more olive oil, the juice of a lime and some grated fresh ginger.
6. Put the duck on top of the salad and serve.
Char-Broil chef’s top tip
Always check the temperature of your meat with a meat thermometer to ensure safe eating. It’s safe to eat duck medium-rare. If you prefer your duck cooked to medium, grill until the internal temperature is about 140°F (60°C); or it should be around 155°F (68°F) for well-done.
The perfect wine pairing
Beefsteak Club Malbec
An all-round crowd-pleaser, Beefsteak Club Malbec is a smooth, rich and unoaked red wine perfect for complementing the wide range of meats and grilled food on offer at a barbeque, especially a spicy duck. With a smooth palate and notes of ripe black fruits and plums, this fantastic red wine works beautifully well with any sticky or spicy sauces or glazes of choice. Also available in 2.25l wine boxes, 150ml magnums and 250ml wine cans.
Tasting notes: Deep purple in colour with ripe black fruits on the nose. Rich and layered mouthfeel with soft tannins and a long, smooth finish.
Available from: All major retailers – Tesco, Sainsbury’s Waitrose, Morrisons, Ocado