Recipe of the week: A warming & healthy curry with chickpeas & Jerusalem Artichokes
Tuck into this gut friendly vegetable curry recipe with its mouthwatering and warming sauce perfect for eating up on a cold and rainy day.
How to make:
· 547 kcal
· 24g sugar
· 0.37g salt
· 3g fats
1/2 White onion
1/2 tins Tinned tomato
200g Jerusalem Artichokes
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Chilli flakes
1 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 cubes Vegetable stock cube
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 clove Garlic
1/2 tins Chickpeas
10 tbsp 0% Fat Greek Yoghurt
1/2 packs Ready sliced butternut squash
10 sprigs Coriander
2 pinches Sea salt
2 pinches Ground pepper
100g Brown Rice
1. Cook the rice as per pack instructions.
2. While the rice is cooking: Wash and peel the garlic, Jerusalem artichokes, butternut squash, carrot and the onion; slice the onion as thin as you can, chop the Jerusalem artichokes and carrot into 1.5 cm bite size chunks, and chop the garlic as small as you can. Trim the coriander leaves, roughly chop it and set aside.
3. In a bowl: Place the stock cube and add one cup of boiling water. Mix until the cube is fully diluted. Set aside.
4. Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly, drain and set aside. Rinse the chickpeas in a sieve and set aside.
5. Heat a pan over medium-high heat, then heat the olive oil for 30 seconds and add the onion and garlic. Fry them for 2 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften.
6. Add the Jerusalem artichoke, squash, carrot the chilli flakes, the cumin and the turmeric. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the tinned tomatoes, and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Add the chickpeas and stir to combine all ingredients.
7. Then add the stock, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring the heat down to medium, and cook for 15 minutes.
8. Add the drained spinach leaves and yogurt to the saucepan. Stir until spinach begin to soften. Cook for no longer than 1 minute, add coriander and turn the heat off.
9. Sprinkle pepper to curry sauce to taste. Serve curry with rice on the side.
This recipe was kindly submitted by The Gut Stuff. Launched by Virgin Radio’s The Mac Twins in January 2017, The Gut Stuff is a video series and website packed with tips, recipes and interviews all about ‘gut health’.