With many of us spending more time at home and potentially reaching for the fridge door more often than usual, it’s no surprise that the nation has been searching online for healthy recipe inspiration, with ‘Low Carb Dinner Ideas’ one of the breakout search terms over the past seven days, according to Google Trends.
Incorporating the flavours of the Middle East, Staub’s recipe for stuffed peppers includes feta cheese for a delicious yet healthy dinner, which is also vegetarian-friendly.
3 red bell peppers, halved
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Sprigs of fresh oregano
Salt and pepper
1 cup dry orzo
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup pitted black olive
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the tomato sauce
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper flakes
Zest from 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200° celsius). In a 9×13 inch baking dish, toss the peppers with the olive oil, garlic, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add the oregano.
2. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the peppers are beginning to char.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the orzo according to package directions until al dente. Drain and toss with the balsamic vinegar, olives, pine nuts, and feta.
4. Make the lemon basil tomatoes by combining all ingredients in a small bowl.
5. Stuff the warm orzo inside the peppers. Drizzle with tomato sauce. Enjoy!
Image credit at the very top of the article: Staub