A hearty, healthy breakfast or brunch can make a big difference to your day. Done right it will set you up well and this delicious recipe from Maldon Salt will do just the job. Packed full of hearty green vegetables and baked eggs, it is full of flavour from the spices, feta, herbs and lemon and makes a great brunch, breakfast or even lunch dish.
2 tbsp olive oil
3 spring onions
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
100g cavalo nero, shredded
100g baby spinach
Half lemon, zested and juiced
40g frozen peas
25g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
15g dill, fronds picked (plus extra for garnish)
A small handful fresh mint, leaves picked
20g feta cheese
Pinch of chilli flakes
1. Take a large frying pan – a cast iron pan works well for this, as it needs to be oven proof also – and place on a medium heat. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil, and when hot, add the sliced spring onions and fry gently until softened.
2. Once softened add the crushed garlic, cumin seeds and ground coriander and continue to fry for another 2 minutes until starting to smell fragrant.
3. Next add the cavolo nero, spinach and lemon juice and zest. Cook this down gently, stirring often for 5 minutes until the cavolo nero and spinach has softened and wilted. Once they are cooked down, add the frozen peas, chopped coriander and dill fronds and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Now you want to create 4 shallow wells in the vegetable mixture and carefully crack the eggs into each hole. Turn the heat down and gently cook the whites to be just set but the yolks to still be runny, it is worth keeping an eye on them.
5. Remove the pan from the oven as soon as the eggs are cooked. Top the dish with the feta cheese crumbled over the top, the picked mint leaves and some extra dill fronds. Finally, finish with a drizzle of olive oil, some Maldon Salt and cracked black pepper. Serve the eggs immediately to the table for everyone to serve themselves alongside some toasted sourdough