60 years of success: Michael Spiers celebrates diamond anniversary
Leading South West based luxury jewellery and watch retailer Michael Spiers has been in the business of making memories for over 60 years, with 2017 marking a diamond milestone in the award-winning retailer’s long history. With its legacy stretching back to 1957, and with showrooms in Plymouth, Exeter, Truro and Taunton, Michael Spiers has a proven track record of business success.
Founded by the late Michael Spiers, the first store was opened in Looe, Cornwall, in 1957. Joined by his brother-in-law Keith White and close family friend Michael Cox in 1966, the team led the expansion of the business with openings in Polperro, Newquay and Paignton. They all were built on the same values which are still evident today – quality, trust, service and the legendary “Michael Spiers experience”.
Opening its flagship Plymouth showroom in 1969, Truro in 1980, Taunton in 1990 and Exeter in 1999, the past 60 years has contained many highlights for the family business.
These include Director Michael Cox, being offered a place on the World Federation of Diamond Bourses, and more recently, the company’s Exeter expansion; moving its showroom to a far larger location at the city’s iconic Cathedral Green.
Chairman Keith White said: “We are proud to offer the finest watch and jewellery brands including Patek Philippe, Rolex, OMEGA, Breitling, TAG Heuer, Gucci, Fope, Mont Blanc and Georg Jensen. . Alongside our ability to create bespoke diamond and coloured gem jewellery – each piece being hand crafted in our workshops – we pride ourselves in only providing the best from around the world.”
The hard work has not gone unnoticed, with Michael Spiers receiving national recognition, recently nominated for Best Independent Luxury Watch Retailer in the Watch Pro Awards. Just one of the many awards the retailer has received in its long history.
Welcoming generations of customers through its doors, and with an unrivalled reputation of show-stopping jewels and magnificent timepieces, the team credits its continued success to providing an exceptional customer experience.
Managing Director Adam Spiers told Luxury Lifestyle Magazine: “We are in the business of happy occasions helping people to celebrate the most important moments in their lives – we don’t take that responsibility lightly! Keith continues, “Every visitor to our showrooms receives the same outstanding experience that we have become famous for over the years – and it’s part of what brings people back to us time and time again. In fact, we are now seeing the children and grandchildren of some of our very first customers! By continuing with the high standards and values we are known for, I have no doubt that the next 60 years will be as exciting and enjoyable as the last.”
Michael Spiers Milestones:
• 1957: Opening of the first Michael Spiers showroom in Looe, Cornwall
• 1962: Opening of Polperro, Cornwall, showroom
• 1969: Opening of Plymouth showroom
• 1970s: Opening of showrooms in Newquay and Paignton
• 1980: Opening of Truro Showroom
• 1989: Michael Spiers acquires both Richard Wigfull and Bowden & Sons in Plymouth, becoming an official retailer of Rolex in the process.
• 1990: Michael Spiers acquires the county jewellers, Leath in Taunton. The company retained the original name until 2013, when, following a £300k refit, it was rebranded as a Michael Spiers showroom.
• 1994: Truro store appointed official retailer of Rolex.
• 1997: Michael’s son, Adam, joins the family business.
• 1999: Michael Spiers showroom opens at Exeter’s Castle Street
• 1999: Founder, Michael Spiers loses his battle with cancer.
• 2007: Director and Gemologist, Michael Cox, appointed to the World Diamond Bourse
• 2009: Truro store appointed official retailer of Patek Philippe.
• 2011: £1million invested in refurbishing the Michael Spiers Plymouth and Truro showrooms
• 2015: Exeter showroom moves to a bigger location at Cathedral Green in Exeter
• 2015: Michael Spiers becomes a Rolex accredited service department
• 2016: Michael Spiers named as national finalist in WatchPro magazine’s ‘Independent Luxury Watch Retailer of the Year’ category.