Beauty talk: We chat to leading British beauty blogger Em Sheldon
Style and beauty editor Melanie Kruger talks to the beautiful Em Sheldon, the brains behind emtalks.co.uk – a leading beauty, fitness and lifestyle blog she launched in 2012.
Em, who also runs women’s jewellery brand LVNDR, answers questions about her favourite fragances, her makeup routine and how she likes to style her hair for a glamorous night out.
1. What is your signature scent?
Flowerbomb by Viktor and Rolf or Jo Malone Mimosa and Cardamom!
2. Which three beauty products couldn’t you live without?
Kiehls midnight recovery oil, Cetraben lotion and Vichy Dermablend foundation!
3. Talk us through your morning and evening skincare routines. How are they different?
In the evening I am more rigorous with my cleansing, first I will wipe the make up off using Elemis’ Micellar water or their Nourishing oil, then I use a Kiehls cleanser or the new BareMinerals Clay cleanser. This is like a double cleanse, removing the grime first then cleansing. Then I tone using Kiehls and put Kiehls midnight recovery on to work whilst I sleep. In the morning, I wash once and then use Kiehl’s daily oil to refresh and energize the skin all day. I make sure I apply a primer (currently loving Elizabeth Arden’s city smart ) to shield my skin from pollution and act as a barrier between my skin and make up! It also means my make up stays on all day.
4. How does your skin type affect the sort of makeup you wear?
When it’s oily sometimes my make up can fall off which is why a good primer and power are key!
5. Talk us through your everyday makeup routine.
I use Vichy Dermablend as its non condomgenic so no worries about it breaking me out, Nars creamy concealer and Charlotte a Tilbury mascara for long, natural lashes. I always finish with MAC mineralize power for a nice neutral glow. I love the no make up make up look.
6. Strong eye or strong lip?
7. What’s the best piece of beauty advice you have ever been given?
Always take your make up off
8. Everyone loves a Sunday night pampering session. Talk us through yours.
I love Skynn Iceland and Rodial for face masks and eye masks. I love sitting with them on in the bath, Jo Malone or Diptyque candle lit as my nails dry and an Aveda hair mask soaks into my hair!
9. What is your most decadent beauty product?
I’m a sucker for anything Jo Malone!
10. What’s your favourite hairstyle for a glamorous night out, and how do you achieve it?
I always head to Sassoon salon for a blow dry (I’m addicted) or I’ll use my ghd tongs for big waves!