These are life’s top 50 luxuries according to Brits
Forget bank-breaking extravagance – freshly-laundered linen, a long soak in the bath and a cosy night indoors are all we need to live in luxury.
A study, which revealed the top 50 small luxuries we value the most, has shown crisp, clean sheets are what people prize above all else.
Even with all manner of gadget-related boons on the list, nearly a quarter of Brits would prefer to get stuck into a good book or enjoy a luxurious dip in the bath over more extravagant treats.
In fact, a humble one in six NEVER indulge in the more extravagant side of life.
Filip Boyen, CEO of Small Luxury Hotels of the World, who commissioned the study, said: “In this cash-rich, time-poor world we now live in, it makes sense that people’s ultimate luxury is less materialistic and more experiential, placing value in the opportunity to stop, switch off and relax.
“With the New Year upon us, 2018 should be the year we treat ourselves to the small luxuries and invest in the time to treat ourselves, wherever we are.”
The survey, which was conducted by market research company OnePoll, found men are most likely to opt for a quiet night in, an extra shot in their coffee and a screening of their favourite film on TV when they need to indulge.
Women are more likely to favour a trip to the theatre, receiving a fresh bouquet of flowers and a catch-up with friends over lunch.
Despite these basic tastes, 46 per cent of those surveyed also admitted they crave a more luxurious lifestyle than they currently have.
Of those who were surveyed who are currently in a relationship, two thirds said their partner treats them to enough of their favourite small luxuries, though smitten husbands and boyfriends are more likely to be satisfied than their other halves.
Seventy one per cent of men in relationships said their partners treat them like kings, compared to 64 per cent of women who regularly receive the royal treatment.
Still, if couples found they were owed a treat from their partner, they would be most likely to choose a night out together over a romantic massage or an offer to do the dishes.
Fifty one per cent of Brits don’t think money can buy happiness, but if money were no object, with all the world’s luxuries open to them, 28 per cent would go on their dream holiday and a fifth would take a trip around the world.
Filip added: “The research proves just how far the sentiment of luxury has come over the 27 years we’ve been in business.
“Our small hotels know that it’s the thoughtful gestures that count and make a guest’s stay really special, as well as providing a culturally relevant setting in which people can take a step back and enjoy life’s small luxuries.”
TOP 50 LIFE’S LITTLE LUXURIES:
1. Freshly laundered bed linen
2. Time to read a good book
3. Getting a takeaway
4. Having a long soak in the bath
5. A fresh haircut
6. A cosy night in
7. A short break in a hotel or B&B
8. Watching the sunset/sunrise
9. A lunch date with a friend
10. When someone makes you a nice cup of tea/coffee
11. Receiving a bouquet flowers
12. Five minutes to yourself
13. Luxury quilted toilet paper
14. Catching your favourite film on TV
15. A glass of champagne
16. Getting your car valeted
17. Buying fresh artisan bread
18. Using a premium perfume/cologne/fragrance
19. Having a manicure
20. Going to the theatre
21. Receiving breakfast in bed
22. Enjoying a fine wine / whiskey
23. Buying tickets to a concert
24. Buying yourself flowers
25. Leaving work half-an-hour early
26. Receiving a hand-written letter
27. Keeping an empty seat beside you on public transport
28. Getting tickets to a sporting event
29. A picnic
30. Buying new makeup
31. Paying for someone to clean your home
32. Hitting the snooze button
33. Applying a facemask
34. Ordering the most extravagant dessert on the menu
35. When the clocks go back
36. Hearing your favourite song on the radio
37. Having a blow-dry
38. Finding a plug socket on public transport
39. A lazy bike ride
40. Ordering the most expensive main course on the menu
41. Skipping the ads on Youtube videos
42. Splashing out on expensive toiletries
43. Spending time away from your phone
44. Buying a new candle
45. Reading a magazine
46. Getting a ride in a sports car
47. An extra shot in your coffee
48. Upgrading to premium seats at the cinema
49. Being invited to corporate hospitality
50. Getting 4G coverage unexpectedly